What is Energy Star?
||Finding your way to increased sales and profits through energy-efficient products
NAED is a partner of ENERGY STAR, a voluntary public-private partnership co-sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
Energy Star is a trusted government-backed labeling and marketing program that identifies high-quality, energy-saving products with the ultimate goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Products must meet strict criteria for both quality and energy savings before they are able to earn the Energy Star mark.
Through NAED's partnership with Energy Star, NAED member distributors can benefit from linking their business with this powerful brand -- 56% of Americans recognize the Energy Star mark nationwide. This is largely due to Energy Star's successful Public Service Announcement (PSA) campaigns. How do I increase my sales and profits?
Sales and profits can be increased because the energy savings and quality of qualified Energy Star products merit higher price points than standard products. The quality of the product justifies the higher cost and customers are able to quickly recoup the additional upfront investment because of long-term utility bill savings. The increased initial cost results in higher sales and profits.
The opportunities for upselling premium quality products grow as the Energy Star program expands to include more categories and is adopted by end-users and the construction industry. Many lenders and utilities offer special incentives to buyers and builders of Energy Star qualified buildings. In 2003, 50% of the top U.S. homebuilders participated in Energy Star for New Homes. Energy Star also has a program that includes commercial and industrial buildings.Why is Energy Star good for my business and my customers?
In addition to saving customers money by reducing their energy bills, Energy Star qualified products must meet strict performance criteria set by the EPA. As an example, Energy Star qualified residential lighting fixtures must start instantly (in under one second), have long lamp life (10,000 hours), must be flicker free, cannot exceed maximum noise levels, and cannot exceed proper ballast temperature to assure durability. This is all backed by a two-year manufacturer warranty, compared to the industry's one-year standard warranty.The growing Energy Star fixture market is a clear business opportunity for electrical distributors.
Quality guidelines exist for other Energy Star qualified products, such as ceiling fans, vent fans, and compact fluorescent light bulbs. The quality controls help provide customer satisfaction and build customer loyalty, while the well-recognized Energy Star mark (56% of Americans recognize the mark) brings third-party government-backed credibility to your products and company, establishing you as a leader in the sale of energy-efficient products.
In some areas of the country, distributors can qualify for utility and government partner financial incentives for stocking and/or selling Energy Star qualified products.What are the benefits for NAED member distributors?
- Benefit from Energy Star's national, regional, and local marketing efforts
- Use the nationally recognized Energy Star logo in your promotional materials and on your Web site (subject to certain conditions)
- Gain credibility in the marketplace that will help you upsell customers to premium products with higher profit margins
- Have your company name and link included on the online "store locator" list on the Energy Star Web site.
- Capitalize on the growing use of Energy Star fixtures and related products in new residential, commercial, and industrial construction
- Gain access to a network of organizations pursuing energy performance upgrades
- Leverage utility incentives exclusively available for Energy Star products and building
- Receive Energy Star updates
- Obtain free marketing support and templates including hang tags, brochures, and energy savings calculators
- Access to Energy Star's partner builders and manufacturers
- Differentiate from the competition as an energy-efficiency solution provider and environmentally responsible business
- Attend Energy Star Partner meetings and get the opportunity to interact and network with other Energy Star Partners including manufacturers, utilities, and governmental agencies
- Receive NAED Energy Star partner static cling window decals for all of your locations
How do I become an Energy Star Partner?
NAED members can join the Energy Star initiative by downloading the form and faxing it back to NAED at (314) 991-3060. Your company's locations will then be added to the Energy Star Web site, and the site will link customers back to your company. For more information on Energy Star partnership, please contact Jeff Schwartz, ICF Consulting, at (518) 452-5986 or NAED Customer Service department at (888) 791-2512 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To read more about Energy Star, go to www.energystar.gov .